Posts for tag: cosmetic dentistry
Cosmetic Dentistry: Long-Term Benefits
Cosmetic dentistry can have a long-term effect on your smile, your oral health, and your overall health. A cosmetic dentist can improve the appearance of the alignment, shape, size, and color of your teeth which can enhance their look and their functionality. Dr. P. Steven Wainess practices dentistry in St. Clair Shores, MI. He specializes in cosmetic dentistry.
5 Benefits of Cosmetic Dentistry in St. Clair Shores
There are many advantages to cosmetic dentistry. Here are the top five:
- Restoring your confidence: If you have chipped, cracked, or discolored teeth, you probably hide your smile. But once these issues have been corrected by cosmetic dentistry, you can smile with confidence and people will be able to see the difference in you immediately.
- Long-lasting effects: You can rest assured that your cosmetics dentistry treatments are made to last. That means the money you invest in your oral health pays off over the long-term. Cosmetic treatments can also help your natural teeth last much longer.
- Optimizing your oral health: Misaligned teeth are not only a cosmetic problem, but they can also affect your oral and general health. When teeth are misaligned your risk of tooth decay is increased, as is your risk of gum disease. The later also increases your chance of heart disease and stroke. Cosmetic dentistry optimizes your oral and overall health.
- Recovery time is brief: Another benefit of cosmetic dentistry is that you don’t have to spend days recovering from your dental treatment. Typically, recovery time is short, and you will experience very little pain while you recover.
- Speak and eat with confidence: Once your dental procedure is finished, you will be able to enunciate fully and eat any type of food you enjoy without worrying about damaging your gums or teeth.
If you’re looking for a dentist in St. Clair Shores, call (586) 293-1515 today to schedule an appointment
People improve their smiles for a lot of reasons: to better their career prospects, to put some juice in their social lives or just to do something special for themselves. But you may have an even stronger reason: a once-in-a-lifetime event—maybe your wedding day—is coming up soon.
You have several options for transforming your smile for the big day—and some are even quite economical. Here are 4 affordable ways to make your smile beautiful for that forever moment.
Cleanings. While dental cleanings should already be part of your regular dental care, scheduling one right before a big event can do wonders for your smile. Not only can your hygienist remove any lingering dull and dingy plaque and tartar, but they can polish your teeth for a brighter shine. Remember, though: dental cleanings support your own hygiene efforts, they don't replace them. Your own daily practice of brushing and flossing will also help you maintain a beautiful smile.
Teeth Whitening. You can also get an extra boost of brightness with a tooth whitening procedure. Using a professional bleaching solution and other techniques, your dentist can lighten your smile to your tastes, from a more natural hue to dazzling white. The whitening effect, though, is temporary, so plan to see your dentist no more than a few weeks before your big day.
Bonding. Perhaps a tiny chip is all that stands between you and a knockout smile. Your dentist may be able to repair that and other minor defects by bonding tooth-colored materials to the chip site. These composite resin materials have the shine of enamel and can be color-blended to match your tooth's natural shade. Composite resins are also fairly rugged, although you should avoid biting down on hard foods or objects.
Veneers. Although more expensive than the previous options mentioned, veneers are still affordable compared to crowns or bridgework. Usually made of thin layers of dental porcelain, dentists bond veneers to the front of teeth to mask mild to moderate problems like heavy staining, disfiguration and minor gaps. But because veneers are custom-fabricated by a dental lab, you'll need to plan them with your dentist at least six months before your event. The resulting change to your smile, though, may well be worth the wait.
If you would like more information on transforming your smile for a special event, please contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can also learn more about this topic by reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “Planning Your Wedding Day Smile.”
A cosmetic dentist is an expert in renewing the appearance of your smile. Though there are many cosmetic dentistry options to choose from, understanding the basics of this branch of dentistry can help you make the best decision for you. Find out more about cosmetic dentistry and what it can do for you with Dr. P. Steven Wainess in Saint Clair Shores, MI.
Do I need cosmetic dentistry?
Low self-esteem due to the appearance of the teeth can receive a boost with a simple cosmetic procedure such as teeth whitening. In some cases, a broken or damaged tooth may benefit from a cosmetic treatment, such as a veneer, which can help stabilize the compromised tooth.
Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures Available in St. Clair Shores, MI
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening is a surefire way to improve your smile. By undergoing just one hour-long procedure, your teeth can lift in color up to ten shades — a fact that mail-order and over-the-counter at-home kits cannot boast.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants replace your smile’s missing teeth to give your mouth’s bite increased functionality and help you boost your confidence and self-esteem.
- Dental Bonding: Dental bonding is a procedure which uses composite resin to reshape a chipped or misshapen tooth. This fast procedure goes hand-in-hand with cosmetic contouring, which is used to finalize and perfect the tooth’s new shape.
- Crowns and Bridges: A dental crown fits over a tooth to change its appearance or protect it. A dental bridge replaces a missing tooth to close the gap in your smile.
For more information on cosmetic dentistry or how it can transform your smile, please contact Dr. Steven Wainess in St. Clair Shores, MI. Call (586) 293-1515 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Wainess today!
At the first-ever Players Weekend in August 2017, Major League Baseball players wore jerseys with their nicknames on the back. One player — Cleveland Indians shortstop, Francisco Lindor — picked the perfect moniker to express his cheerful, fun-loving nature: “Mr. Smile.” And Lindor gave fans plenty to smile about when he belted a 2-run homer into the stands while wearing his new jersey!
Lindor has explained that he believes smiling is an important part of connecting with fans and teammates alike: “I’ve never been a fan of the guy that makes a great play and then acts like he’s done it 10,000 times — smile, man! We’ve got to enjoy the game.”
We think Lindor is right: Smiling is a great way to generate good will. And it feels great too… as long as you have a smile that’s healthy, and that looks as good as you want it to. But what if you don’t? Here are some things we can do at the dental office to help you enjoy smiling again:
Routine Professional Cleanings & Exams. This is a great place to start on the road toward a healthy, beautiful smile. Even if you are conscientious about brushing and flossing at home, you won’t be able to remove all of the disease-causing dental plaque that can hide beneath the gum line, especially if it has hardened into tartar, but we can do it easily in the office. Then, after a thorough dental exam, we can identify any problems that may be affecting your ability to smile freely, such as tooth decay, gum disease, or cosmetic dental issues.
Cosmetic Dental Treatments. If your oral health is good but your smile is not as bright as you’d like it to be, we can discuss a number of cosmetic dental treatments that can help. These range from conservative procedures such as professional teeth whitening and bonding to more dramatic procedures like porcelain veneers or crowns.
Tooth Replacement. Many people hide their smiles because they are embarrassed by a gap from a missing tooth. That’s a shame, because there are several excellent tooth-replacement options in a variety of price ranges. These include partial and full dentures, bridgework, and dental implants. So don’t let a missing tooth stop you from being Mr. (or Ms.) Smile!
If you’d like more information about oral health or cosmetic dentistry, please contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can also learn more by reading the Dear Doctor magazine articles “Beautiful Smiles by Design” and “The Impact of a Smile Makeover.”
When the appearance of your smile is on the decline, it could make you less motivated to take care of your dental health. So, if you start to notice dental stains on your teeth, take action. Professional teeth whitening is a quick and simple solution that may work for you. Say goodbye to your dental stains and restore your perfect smile with help from Dr. P Steven Wainess at his St. Clair Shores, MI, dentist office.
Do You Have Stains on Your Teeth?
Besides getting your mouth clean, there’s one other important benefit of brushing your teeth every morning in the mirror. You get a chance to look at your teeth carefully to notice any imperfections or problems. If you have noticed dental stains on your teeth that don’t go away when you brush, you can have them removed at the dentist’s office.
Teeth Whitening for Dental Stains
Some patients immediately look to store-bought whitening products to remove their dental stains, but there is no guarantee of results. It can be an expensive and messy endeavor that doesn’t yield any significant benefits. The most effective way of scrubbing those stains away is to go to your St. Clair Shores dentist for in-office teeth whitening. First, the dentist will check your teeth and gums to ensure they are in clean and in good health. Then your lips will be retracted so that a layer of strong hydrogen peroxide gel can be applied to the teeth. After about an hour or so, you’ll see a difference immediately.
No More Dental Stains
After your teeth are whitened professionally, you’ll no longer have to worry about those pesky dental stains and your smile color will improve up to eight shades. If you want to avoid new stains developing in the future follow these simple tips:
- In the weeks after your whitening session, try to avoid eating foods that are darkly pigmented.
- Drink your beverages through a straw to avoid direct contact with your whitened teeth.
- Avoid smoke and tobacco products, because the tar attaches to the teeth.
- Brush or rinse after every meal or beverage.
You Deserve a Stain-Free Smile
If you’re tired of looking at your stained teeth and want to see a remarkable improvement quickly, contact Dr. Wainess at his St. Clair Shores, MI, practice. Call (586) 293-1515 today to schedule an appointment.